Culinary Inspiration From Sea
With Apple Smoked Bacon and Mashed Potatoes
For Vegetarian: Remove the Apple Smoked Bacon and replace the heavy cream with coconut milk
For the Beans
• 1 cup / 200 grams mixed dried beans (soaked in water overnight, drained and rinsed)
• 4 slices apple smoked bacon, small diced
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1 tablespoon white onion, small diced
• 1 tablespoon fennel, small diced
• 1 tablespoon carrot, small diced
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 3 cups / 700 ml chicken or / vegetable stock
• 2 sprigs fresh thyme
• 1 piece bay leaf
• ½ cup / 120 ml heavy cream / replace with coconut milk for vegetarian option
• 1 pinch coarse kosher salt
• 1 pinch freshly ground pepper
For the Mashed Potatoes
• 1 pound / 450 grams golden baby potatoes
• 1 sprig fresh thyme
• 1 piece bay leaf
• small pinch ground nutmeg
• 1 cup / 240 ml heavy cream / or milk
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 1 large pinch coarse kosher salt
• 1 tablespoon italian parsley, chopped
• 1 pinch maldon sea salt flakes
• 1 dash extra virgin olive oil
Step 1 - Soak the Beans overnight
• Soak the beans in 3 cups of water / 600 ml overnight.
• Next day drain the beans and rinse under cold water, then set aside.
Step 2 - Cook the Beans
• Heat up a large casserole over medium-high heat.
• Add the bacon and cook / render stirring occasionally, until the bacon is nicely crisp, about 2-3 minutes.
• Add the butter, fennel, onion, carrot, garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes.
• Add the drained beans and stir, add the chicken/or vegetable stock, bay leaf and thyme and bring to a gentle simmer over medium-high.
• Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, skimming any foam from surface, cook for 40-45 minutes or until beans are tender.
• Remove from heat, and let sit for 20-25 minutes.
• Stir in cream and bring to simmer; cook for another 5 minutes, remove from heat and discard the fresh thyme and bay leaf.
• Season with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
Step 3 - Make the Mashed Potatoes:
• Wash the potatoes and then place the potatoes with the skin, into a large pot, add the bay leaf, sprig of fresh thyme, and salt, and cover with cold water.
• Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
• Drain and let potatoes over cool for a 1-2 minutes.
• Peel (wearing a glove or spike the potatoes on a fork to protect hand from hot potatoes).
• Pass the peeled potatoes through a ricer or food mill into a large bowl.
• Heat up the cream and butter in a small saucepan.
• Add the hot cream / (or milk) and butter liquid to the mashed potatoes and season with salt and ground nutmeg.
• Mix together with a spoon and we are ready to serve.
Tip: Add more cream (or milk) if you prefer a thinner mashed potato.
Step 4 - Serve the Bean Stew
• Spoon the bean stew into serving bowls
• Top bean stew with fresh chopped parsley, maldon sea salt and drizzles of extra virgin olive oil.
• Serve the mashed potatoes on the side. Enjoy!
Happy “Stay Home” Cooking! with Chef Anton Egger
Related Seabourn itineraries and amenities below