Culinary Inspiration From Sea
With Apple Smoked Bacon, Baby Gold Potatoes, Cherry Tomatoes, Italian Parsley
• 4 slices apple smoked bacon, small diced
• 10 pieces baby gold potatoes, leave peel on, cut in half
• 1 medium onion, small diced
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• 3 stalks celery, medium diced
• 1 medium carrot, medium diced
• 10 pieces cherry tomatoes, cut in half
• 2 pieces bay leaves
• 2 sprigs / pinch thyme, leaves coarsely chopped / dried
• 1 small can san marzano tomatoes, roughly chopped, and juice
• 1 small can shelled clams / or small package frozen shelled clams, thawed / and juice
• 1 cup / 240 ml bottled clam juice
• 1 cup / 240 ml water
• 1 coarse kosher salt
• 1 freshly ground pepper
• 2 tablespoons italien parsley, chopped
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Step 1 - Let’s cook the Chowder
• Heat up a large casserole over medium-high heat.
• Add the bacon and cook / render stirring occasionally, until the bacon is nicely crisp, about 3 minutes.
• Add the celery, onion, carrot, garlic, bay leaves, and thyme, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes.
• Add the canned tomatoes and potatoes and cook 2 minutes.
• Add the bottled clam juice, the clams and their juices, 1 cup water; cover and bring to a boil.
• Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender, 15 - 20 minutes.
• Add the cherry tomatoes and simmer for 2 more minutes.
• Season with salt and pepper and ready to serve.
Step 2 - Garnish the Chowder
• Spoon the clam chowder into serving bowls.
• Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and a few round of fresh black pepper.
• Serve with toasted country bread on the side. Enjoy!
Happy “Stay Home” Cooking! with Chef Anton “Tony” Egger
Related Seabourn itineraries and amenities below