Culinary Inspiration From Sea
With Baby Romaine, Boiled Eggs, Red Radish, Young Potatoes, Tomatoes, Dijon Mustard Dressing
Note - Traditionally we should use green beans and olives, but as I had neither in my pantry, I added red radish instead. So if you have green beans and olives, then please add 1 handful of cooked green beans and 1 handful of any kind of olives, pitted and cut in half to your salad.
For the Salad:
• 3 handfuls baby romaine lettuce (any other lettuce will do also)
• 2 handfuls young potatoes, cut in half
• 2 handfuls tomatoes, cut in small pieces
• 2 medium pieces red radish, cut in rounds, keep in ice water to remain crisp
• 1 cup / grams albacore tuna canned, flaked
• 1 small tin (4oz./113grams) albacore tuna, (in water), flaked
• 2 whole eggs, boiled
For the Dressing:
• 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
• 1 pinch fresh black pepper
• 1 pinch course kosher salt
For the Garnish:
• 1 pinch maldon sea salt flakes
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• Few rounds fresh black pepper from the mill
Step 1 - Boil the Eggs:
• Place eggs in a deep-dish saucepan and cover them with cold water.
• Slowly bring water to a boil, when the water has reached a boil, cover and remove from stove and set aside for 10 minutes.
• Remove lid and transfer eggs to a colander and place under cold running water to stop the cooking.
• This will give an ever-so-soft center to the yolk. For completely firm yolks, add an additional 2 minutes.
• Gently crack eggs all over and peel and cut in half lengthwise.
Step 2 - Boil the Potatoes
• Place potatoes in a medium saucepan; cover with cold water.
• Bring to a boil, and simmer for about 8-10 minutes or until tender.
• Drain and set aside and cut in halves.
Step 3 - Make the Dressing
• Add lemon juice, vinegar and mustard in a mixing bowl.
• Add olive oil little by little; until completely emulsified.
• Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
Step 4 - Let’s create our Nicoise Style Salad
• Divide the lettuce among the serving plates.
• Top evenly with potatoes halves, red radish, tomatoes and albacore tuna flakes.
• Place 1 hardboiled egg cut in half, on each plate.
• Top with 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard dressing on each plate.
• Drizzle with some more olive oil, fresh black pepper and maldon salt flakes (will give a nice soft crunch).
• Finally, gently toss the salad with knife and fork on the plate and enjoy! Yummy…
Happy “Stay Home” Cooking! with Chef Anton Egger
Related Seabourn itineraries and amenities below